Sunday, April 10, 2011

That's what I'm afraid of. "Not being enough. Not good enough, not smart enough, not pretty enough."

This quote was said by Sophia Bush's character Brooke Davis on One Tree Hill.  I must admit, that is one of my favorite shows, along with NCIS.  I found this quote on twitter and it made me start thinking.   This is how I feel about my own life, maybe just not the latter part.

I worry all the time that my boyfriend will leave me.  I am always wondering why he's with me when there are so many other girls he could be with.  Sometimes I feel like I'm not good enough for him.  And then I start thinking am I a good daughter?  What if I'm not a good enough friend?

With school I wonder if I'm good enough to graduate in a few weeks with my masters.  Am I good enough to get a job? What if I am good enough to get a job, but not smart enough to actually handle the job?

I feel like this quote just opens up a whole lot of what if questions. And to be honest, I'm not sure if I'm ready to answer those questions or not.

As for the last part, I'm a tomboy.  I've never felt pretty.  I'm more comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt than I am in a skirt and high heels.  I will dress up when I need to, but only for the amount of time I need to wear it.  My boyfriend all the time tells me to be more girly, and I try, for him.  But I'm not comfortable with that because that's not who I am.  And while he always tells me how pretty and beautiful I am, there's always a part of me that doesn't believe him.  I guess that's because I was always made fun of growing up. I've had to wear glasses since I was in second grade, braces in eighth grade didn't help either.  I never really had a boyfriend until now either.  Somehow my boyfriend fell in love with me. For that I am lucky.

While I sit here and question whether I am good enough for anything, I know in the back of my mind I am.  People took a chance with me, offering me a job, accepting me into grad school, going out with me, being my friend for all these years, etc.  It is with the help of all these people who make me believe I am good enough.  Instead of sitting here writing and thinking about how I am not good enough, I need to get out there and show people I am good enough.  I also need to prove to myself I am pretty enough.  As long as my boyfriend believes I am, I guess that's all I need.  It doesn't matter what other people think.  Heck, it only matters what I think.

I know I am good enough and smart enough. I'm working on being pretty enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment