Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Realization

I woke up today and realized it's March 1st.  In a little over two short months I will be entering the real world.  I thought the same thing two years ago when I graduated with my B.S. in Sports Management from York College of Pennsylvania.  Little did I know then I would be hired at the Philadelphia Force where I did my internship.  What I didn't know was that a year later, I would no longer have that job as I was taking summer classes and the team was no longer up and running.  That was my experience in the "real world."

Here I am now, a year later realizing I am graduating in two months and eleven days with my MBA with a concentration in Marketing.  I have two months and eleven days to find a job.  Here's where the hard part comes in.  Even though I will have two degrees I still do not know what exactly I want to do.  Sure, I know I want to work for a professional sports team.  In what capacity, I do not know.  Also, I want to stay on the East Coast, preferably in the Philadelphia region.  My dream is to work for the Philadelphia Phillies.

Based on my experiences with the Force, which was a professional softball team based in Philadelphia and played home games in Allentown, I got to experience all there was to do.  When I was asked my favorite part I replied with working in the parking lot.  This was because I got to interact with the fans the most in this capacity.  I loved hearing what our fans had to say and became close to some of them, who I still keep in contact with today.  They always say how much they miss the team and the people who worked in the office (which was about 4 full time employees including the owner).

While thinking about what I want to do, I know I want to work someplace where I will be able to interact with people (besides coworkers) and maybe even be able to travel.  One thing that has interested me is working with charities and being able to set up different events.  More and more I sit here and think about how fun it would be to plan events.  I could take what I've learned and put it all together. I think it would be both fun and rewarding.

The "real world" is about to set in on me and I have no idea what I want to do.  Everyone keeps telling me to enjoy school while I can because the real world is not that fun.  I don't know.  I look at entering the "real world" as a new challenge and the start of a new chapter in my life.  It's where I can make a new name for myself professionally.  Knowing that after May 12th, I won't have three months off then have a new semester begin, I will be a "big girl, with a big girl job."  My only problem is finding what that "big girl" job will be.  I want a place where I can mature, be creative, help people find their passion.  I want a career where I can be happy and have fun.  I don't want a job where I wake up and think great what will today have in store or I don't want to go into work today.  I want to be able to wake up and go I can't wait to get to work today.

I know that I still have some time to decide, but I just want to be able to graduate and have a job lined up.  It seems like everything I am interested in is only internships for credit or out on the West Coast, a place I don't think I'm ready to move to.  That's another issue, my comfort zone.  It would be weird to move someplace and work for an organization knowing that I can't show my true Philadelphia spirit.  That's a down side for me.  I live and die with the Phillies and Eagles.  I think the only sport I would be able to work in if I moved is basketball, because that is not a sport I am interested in.  I played it and just didn't enjoy it.

May 12, 2011 is going to be a scary day for me.  It is also going to be the day where I can start the next challenge in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment